I welcome inquiries from potential MA and Ph.D. students who are interested in SIAT graduate program and would like to participate in the work of Critical MediArtStudio (cMAS)
cMAS is seeking graduate students with an active media arts or design practice, a background in the humanities and programming skills interested in working at the intersections of historical research, theory, and praxis.
Students interested in cMAS should have a critical concern for unpacking how new and old technologies, categories of difference and colonial legacies continue to shape both the historical narratives and practices of media arts and design; our sense of self; and practices of knowledge transfer and production.
I am currently looking for students who are interested in academic research and/or research creation in:
- the histories and aesthetics of interactive/contemporary art and design
- the histories of media arts, including theories of embodiment and performance
- the histories of womxn and technology
- the environmental histories of digital technologies and its infrastructures
- the feminist orientation of research-creation approaches including remediation, reactivation and reenactment
If you are interested in submitting an application, please send me an e-mail at gacevess (at) sfu (dot) ca with the following materials:
- a description of research interests related to cMAS existing research
- a curriculum vitae
- a copy of your unofficial transcript that includes your GPA